Depression is no laughing matter. It is a very serious ailment affecting nearly 15 million Americans often treated with prescription medications. Furthermore, side effects of antidepressants run the gamut from decreased libido, to flat emotions, restlessness, sleep disturbances, even thoughts of suicide. In cases of mild to some moderate depression there are natural solutions that may help to restore your mood.
Address the Root Causes of Depression with Six Simple Steps to Treat Mood Disorders below …
- Vitamin D: Have your physician check your vitamin D level and supplement with D3 or 15-20 minutes of sunlight daily.
- Fish Oil: Supplement omega-3 fatty acids with fish oil or eat wild salmon at least twice weekly. The brain is made up of fats and health ratios of omega 3: omega 6 fatty acids are absolutely essential to happy mood and healthy brain function.
- Food Allergies: Chronic inflammation from food sensitivities may play a role in causing symptoms of depression and anxiety. Keeping inflammation at bay is critical if you want great sleep and a happy mood! Gluten and other common foods may be causing hidden inflammation. I suggest trying the elimination of gluten, dairy and sugar for a minimum of 30 days to see if this plays a role in your mood.
- Probiotics: Unbalanced gut microbes can contribute to depression, too. Be sure you are taking a probiotic.
- 5HTP: Aid your body’s natural production of serotonin. A few essential ingredients for production of this “happy neurotransmitter” are 5HTP, vitamin B6, and Magnesium at bedtime.
- Methyl-folate and B12: Support methylation. Some patients respond well to sublingual methylcobalamin and oral methyl-folate daily. Be sure to avoid processed cereals and breads which contain synthetic folic acid and may make mood worse.