The Low Mold Diet. Use this guide to shift your diet away from high sugar and starchy foods to more fresh, whole foods.
Foods that must be avoided
Avoid sugar and sugar containing foods: Table sugar and all other simple, fast releasing sugars such as fructose, lactose, maltose, glucose, mannitol and sorbitol. This includes honey and natural sugar syrup type products such as maple syrup and molasses. This also includes all candies, sweets, cakes, cookies, and baked goods.
Whole leaf stevia concentrate may be used in moderation
High sugar fruits:
- Avoid pineapple, mango, banana, melons, oranges, and grapes
- Organic berries, apples and lemon/lime are okay
Packaged and processed foods:
- Avoid canned, bottled, boxed and otherwise processed and pre-packaged foods as they contain sugar of one type or another.
- Canned – Baked beans, soups, ready-made sauces.
- Bottled – Soft drinks, fruit juices, all condiments and sauces.
- Boxed/Packaged – Ready-made meals, breakfast cereals, chocolate/candy, ice cream, frozen foods.
Mold and yeast containing foods:
- Cheeses: all cheese, especially moldy cheeses like stilton are the worst, buttermilk, sour cream and sour milk products.
- Alcoholic drinks: beer, wine, cider, whiskey, brandy, gin and rum.
- Condiments: vinegar and foods containing vinegar, mayonnaise, pickles, soy sauce, mustard, relishes.
- Edible fungi: including all types of mushrooms and truffles.
- Processed and smoked meats: sausages, hot dogs, corned beef, pastrami, smoked fish, ham, bacon.
- Fruit juices: All packaged fruit juices may potentially contain molds.
- Dried fruits: raisins, apricots, prunes, figs, dates, etc.
Foods ok to be eaten in small amounts
- Gluten-free grains: brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, certified gluten-free oats.
- High starch vegetables and legumes: sweet corn, potatoes, beans and peas, lentils, sweet potatoes, squashes, turnips, parsnips.
- Fruits: low sugar types such as berries, apples, pears and peaches.
Foods to be eaten freely
- Organic pastured animal products: beef, bison, veal, lamb buffalo, wild-caught seafood, poultry, pastured eggs
- Low carbohydrate vegetables: broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, arugula, chard, cucumber, peppers, tomato (fresh only), onion, leek, asparagus, garlic, artichokes,
- Raw nuts and seeds: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, almonds, low mold nuts (No peanuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews, brazil nuts)
- Healthy Fats: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, avocado, organic butter
- Other: Tempeh, Miso, Apple Cider Vinegar
- Beverages: Filtered Water, non-fruity herbal teas, mineral water, fresh veggie juice